miércoles, 15 de julio de 2015

On Creepy Games...

I don't have much time to play games.  Still, I have quite a few that I like and that I play on my Linux computers or my Android tablet.  Among them, the ones I like best seem to be the creepy ones:

Born is a charismatic fellow!
1.  Nihilumbra: The game in which you escape the void! 

This is one of my all time favorites.  The atmosphere is depressing and everything seems to be reminding you that you do not belong.  While you fight (and flee) for survival, you get to learn a lot about yourself and the world you live in (and I don't mean the character or the fictional world!)



2.  Violett:  Coraline meets Alice in Wonderland!

Violett in a world of dark fantasy...Care for a cup of tea?
This is another one I was able to finish.  Although the puzzles can become frustrating at times (I played it when the hint system was not polished), I realized that I could find my way in such a weird environment while I guided little Violett out of that world she got caught in. I might be exaggerating, but sometimes I felt I could understand the weird language the characters spoke.

3.  Freeze!:  If everything around you spins, FREEZE!

Don't fear the eye! That's you!
I found this one accidentally while looking for apps for my tablet.  Apparently, you were kidnapped for no reason and now have to escape from multiple prisons. Interestingly enough, when I watched the introductory video in the game, I couldn't help relating the main character to the graphic depiction of the flowers of evil of the anime/manga series Aku no Hana.

The flower has blossomed! Creepy!
Coincidence? Who knows.

(But I hope not to find in the game a theme song as disturbing as the ending theme of the series.  Believe me, if you haven't heard it, you don't want to hear it.)


...花が咲いたよ。hana ga saita yo....





4.  Incredipede: If an eye alone is disturbing, add limbs to it!

This one is addictive...if you can get past the awkward feeling of seeing
Quozzle is female.  Cute, right?
Quozzle, the protagonist, crawl, spin, walk, and jump through each level.
This is what some have said of the game:

"If you've ever felt that Dr Frankenstein’s career path was for you then Incredipede will have you laughing maniacally with joy for hours on end" - Indie Game Magazine


"A physics based game done right" - Total Biscuit


Sometimes you agonize as make poor Quozzle crawl across lava rivers and you see her limbs burn.  Really, this is not for the faint-hearted!

5.  Badland: The dark version of Flappy Bird!
Another charismatic character!

I played this one on my tablet.  Although it is quite a heavy download, it is worth your time and bandwidth.

In this game you control the little bird-like...bat-like creature and help it fly through a series of challenging levels.

If you like Flappy Bird but find it too cheerful, this is the game for you.  You will do your best not to let the flying creature die.

6.  Limbo: The creepy among the creepy!
I've heard some people can't play this one for a long time
I don't know what was in the head of the developers of this one.  This is surely the kind of game you don't want your kids to play...unless you want them to have nightmares for the rest of their lives.  This game is packed with lots of interesting puzzles in probably the darkest environment you could ever imagine for a game.  Really, if you want a creepy, mind boggling, disturbing game, look no further.  I will refrain from describing it not to spoil the fun.  But here's another image showing you what awaits you:
No, it's not the boss.  It's just a spider that wants to kill you...


 There are two other creepy games I haven't been able to play yet.  The first one did not run on Linux (I have to try Steam, I guess) and the second...Well, I have to buy it.  It's $10 on Steam!

Finding Teddy: Pixel art can't get creepier!

Anna: I've heard this one makes you jump!



4 comentarios:

  1. All of those games look extremely creepy. I saw you playing #1 and #4. I liked their design and they seemed to be interesting games. Mechatoro told me about Limbo and I would like to see it. I don't think it is the type of game I would like to play, but at least I would like to see how it is and what it really is about (a description is not the same).

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Limbo could traumatize you! :P Its collection of disturbing things go beyond the scenery!

      Eliminar
  2. Great games! I remember that the first creepy game I played on Linux was Amnesia. And you didn't mention that one you can play in one sitting, what was it called? I forgot.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. I did not play Amnesia, unfortunately. I think the game you are talking about is Serena, but I did not include it because, although its ending is disturbing, the game as a whole is not creepy. Puzzling, yes...but not creepy.

      Eliminar