miércoles, 19 de junio de 2013

Pisi Linux Beta: A Real-life Test

I waited eagerly for the beta release of Pisi Linux.  As soon as it was out, I downloaded it and installed it into a partition my ZaReason's Alto 4330 had.

The installation took about 25 minutes.  Once it was over, I noticed a few bugs.  For example, Pisi's Grub 2 installed into the MBR, not into the partition I chose.  Well, that's not a show stopper to me.  Besides, Pisi's Grub is very well designed.  Anyway, I booted my brand new Linux kitten to see what it looked like and what it was capable of.

Those who used old-school Pardus will feel familiar with Pisi.  Kaptan greets you and lets you choose your first-time settings.  Yes, it was great to see Kaptan again!

I checked my Wifi connection first.  Pisi picked it without hiccups.  Good!  Youtube videos also played out of the box.  

"Pisi looks solid and feels stable," I said to myself in my office.  "Too bad I have to prepare a presentation for my class later.  If I had more time, I'd like to test this little distro more seriously,"  I thought.

Then, another of my crazy ideas struck me.  I have made other quite interesting Linux tests in the past. One is here, another is here, and another is here.  Now that I see them in retrospective, they seem a bit too risky, but Linux did not let me down then.

"Alright, let's do our work with Pisi today,"  I decided.  First, I needed to create a multimedia presentation.  Then, I'd have to use it along with two videos in my class.  That would give me a fairly good idea of Pisi's performance in real life.

I must say that entrusting your work to an OS that is not yet finished is a bit too much.  Remember: this Pisi release is only for testing; it is not meant for production!

I created my presentation with LibreOffice's Impress.  No issues there.  Everything worked normally.  Actually, the OS theme made me forget I was using a beta release!
The videos played fine, too.  That was great!

However, when I plugged in a multimedia projector to test it before class, I found a rough edge: Pisi thought the projector was another monitor, so it presented a totally different output for it.  In other words, my computer's screen had a desktop other than the one the projector displayed.

Fortunately, that was easy to solve: I went to System Preferences / Screen and there I ticked "Unify outputs."  That took care of the problem.

I taught my class without any other issue.  Not bad for a testing release of a distro that is seeing the sun for the first time! :)

Today, I've spent my whole day using Pisi.  I've even managed to customize it a bit! :P
I customized the Recycling Bin, Firefox, LibreOffice, and the theme of my windows
This is a cat army!
Since Pisi's server is down, I haven't got the chance to check its repositories.  That will have to wait for now.

I must say that I'm pretty impressed with Pisi.  Congratulations to all those who worked hard to make their dream true with this new distro!
 

8 comentarios:

  1. I'm glad the kitty is working. I need to install it to start playing with it...Maybe next week.

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Yes, it's working and running like a champion! You're gonna love it!

      Eliminar
  2. WoW nice review

    Excelente review :)

    Un saludo

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. ¿Será porque es una distro excelente? ¡Gracias por la visita y por todo el apoyo en Pisi Life!

      Eliminar
  3. Respuestas
    1. Although I think writing a review of an unfinished product is quite unfair, Pisi Linux worked so well at work that I simply had to tell others about my experience with it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Eliminar
  4. I am very glad to read this review as a developer of Pisi Linux :) Have fun !

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Wow! I'm honored to have Pisi developers here. You've made a truly impressive distro! If a beta behaves like this, I'm eager to see what the final release will be capable of!

      Eliminar