jueves, 2 de diciembre de 2010

Back-ups---I Forgot!!


I just finished burning my back-ups. I burned two full DVDs.

Even though I've heard that some people upload their back-ups to the cloud and others have them in a separate partition, I keep burning my back-ups the old way. Why? Because in my opinion, real back-ups must be physical, stand-alone and removable at all costs. What good is a backup if you need to access the Web to get it? And if by any chance you need the back-up to recover your system's connectivity?

Anyway, I noticed something when I burned my second DVD...

I had never burned a full DVD with the back-ups of my files and documents in the past! A CD used to be enough.

So, what happened? Are my documents growing in size exponentially?

No, the size of my documents remains practically the same. The difference is not the size, but the quantity.

Since I started using Linux, I had made only one back-up at the beginning! Then, I totally forgot about my quarterly back-up burning ritual! Why? I guess because my system didn't remind me about it with slow performance, virus infections or freezes, so I didn't feel the need to get ready for the big crash.

It seems Linux captivated me with its reliability! Still, I must remember about my back-ups...

2 comentarios:

  1. Hehehe,your post just reminded me I have not made a back up in quite a long time, so I went to check... I have 8 CDs and 4 DVDs of Windows backups.. and only one DVD with a back up the home partition for Linux, which I only used when I upgraded to Spring PowerPack. The difference is clear.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Right. I even updated my Mepis system without any back ups! :P

    ResponderEliminar